Situated right on the border between Portugal and Spain, Ayamonte is 40 minutes from Faro by car in the Costa de la Luz or Spanish Algarve. An impressive suspension bridge links the two countries over which you can travel without stopping for border controls. Before this was built you had to get a ferry over the River Guadiana to see Spain but now the journey from Faro could not be easier and the area is more accessible from this airport than the Western Algarve.
Ayamonte is a charming fishing town right at the mouth of the impressive Guadiana River. It has a permanent population of approx. 20,000 people and these numbers are swollen during the summer months when it attracts discerning tourists from all over Europe to enjoy the stunning scenery, un-crowded beaches and traditional local culture.
Costa Esuri is north of Ayamonte and is one of Andalucia's largest golf communities. It was originally planned as a new town for Spanish inhabitants but became very popular with northern Europeans looking for a great value property in an authentic Spanish area. Costa Esuri has a number of first-class leisure facilities including two championship golf courses, commercial areas and a deep-water yacht marina has also been approved for construction. The community is in and excellent location with lovely countryside and river views.
Properties in Ayamonte have access to its wonderful old quarter, which is full of narrow winding cobbled streets and plenty of cafes, tapas bars, restaurants and nightlife. This is the real Spain - not an English or Irish version with pubs and greasy spoon cafes but a traditional Spanish town, beautiful and charming and full of character. The bustling town boasts the following attractions:
Properties In Ayamonte: Main Attractions
- Several shopping / commercial centres
- Beautiful palm lined squares, plazas and promenades
- Art gallery and craft boutiques
- Miles of golden beach at Isla Canela
- 10 excellent golf courses within a short drive
- Several major Spanish festivals throughout the year
- Plaza de San Francisco (Francisco Square)
- Plaza de la Laguna (Laguna Square)
- Our Lady of Angustias Church (Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de las Angustias)
- The Saint Sebastian Church (La Ermita de San Sebastian)
- The Saint Francisco Church (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- The Merced Church (Iglesia de la Merced)
- The Big House (La Casa Grande)
- Marquis of Ayamonte Palace (Palacio del Marques de Ayamonte)
- The Bull Ring in Calle Martes
Ayamonte is a wonderful place in which to enjoy traditional Spanish culture and as above; there are many local festivals and exhibitions to experience. Here are some dates to give you a flavour:
On the 5th of January there is the "Procession Of The Three Kings when volunteers dressed as the 3 biblical kings venture into the streets of Ayamonte to throw sweets to waiting children. To hear them all laughing and having such fun is a magical experience and the adults also have a great time too.
February sees the carnival of the "Ayamontinos" when there is a colourful parade through the streets of the town in full fiesta costume. You will see many traditional floats and thousands of people turn out to watch the fantastic procession.
In March/April there is Holy Week, which is a peaceful, sober event, but also an amazing spectacle with another parade dedicated to the holy trinity. Images of Christ, the Madonna and Crosses are walked silently through Ayamonte to the sound of beating drums. It is a 500-year-old tradition and known throughout the country.
In May there is the festival of "Romeria" when more colourful Spanish fiesta dress comes out and people young and old eat, drink and celebrate all weekend
After a hot summer of relaxation and siestas is the festival of "Our lady of Angustias" on 8th September. People come from all over the region to see an effigy of the saint paraded through the street and there is a busy activity schedule over several days. These include sports, art exhibitions and music concerts by famous national celebrities.
On November 13th is the festival of Saint Diego - the Patron Saint of Ayamonte and crowds to celebrate again.
Ayamonte Property For Sale: Summary
- Easy access from Faro and Seville international airports
- Integrate into a traditional Spanish community
- Right next to Portugal so you can enjoy both countries at once
- The cost of living and property in Ayamonte is extremely competitive
- Far cheaper than Portugal and the Costa de Sol
- Wonderful food and culture
- Some of the best blue flag beaches in Europe
- Warmest sea on the Atlantic coast
- Shallow water very safe for children
- Wide variety of golf courses - half the price of Portugal and Costa del Sol
- Safe and secure - not a tourist hotspot so very little crime
- Friendly and welcoming people